Tuesday 21 May 2013

Erwin Blumenfeld


 



I wanted to share these beautiful images by Erwin Blumenfeld. A couple of nights ago I watched The Man Who Shot Beautiful Women, a documentary tracing Blumenfeld's life from his early experiments in Dadaism and friendship with George Grosz to his fashion photography in the 1950s. I really like the surreal playfulness and visual experimentation of his photographs, which Blumenfeld retained even when he was working on commercial assignments. He started taking photographs in earnest in the 1930s as a way of enticing window shoppers into 'Fox Leather Company', the clothing shop he ran in Berlin. I think these images of his female customers - abstracted figures and experimental close-ups - are my favourite of all Blumenfeld's photographs.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment